Thursday, May 31, 2012

 My Father insisted that since I was a student of
history that I learn something about black Indians.

His Grandfather was Creek-Seminole from the
Escambia County, Alabama near the Florida line.
He described him as very dark, with a single feather
worn in the front.

He said that he believed that 30% of all Black
Americans were mixed with Native American
blood but my search led me to find that it's more
like 40%.

The three Seminole Wars were fought
because the Florida natives would not
return the runaway slaves to the slave
masters. President Andrew Jackson had
given orders to his generals to assist in
returning fugitive slaves but they reported
that they could not tell the Seminoles from
fugitive slaves. Florida was one of the routes
of the underground rail road which led to the
Bahamas. One led to Mexico and the other
to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment